This jam utilizes Pomona’s Universal Pectin that relies on calcium to gel rather than loads of sugar. The box includes instructions, pectin, and calcium powder. I purchase mine at my local Whole Foods. Here’s the recipe:
- 4 cups mashed blackberries (I whir them in the food processor briefly since my children don’t like chunks in their jam. You could mash the berries if you prefer a toothier jam.)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s Universal Pectin Powder
- 2 teaspoons calcium water mixture
- Prepare your jars and lids for canning.
- Combine fruit, lemon juice and calcium in a saucepan. Bring fruit mixture to a boil.
- While fruit is heating, mix sugar and pectin together in a separate bowl.
- When fruit mixture is boiling, add pectin-sugar mixture and stir vigorously for 1-2 minutes while cooking to dissolve pectin.
- Return mixture to boil and then remove from heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼ inches of top. Wipe rims clean and screw on 2 piece lids. Process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water and cool.