I have many projects that fit into the “I haven’t gotten around to doing it” category. Making new pillowcases for the living room pillows is one example. I’ve been planning on doing it forever and even bought the fabric a month or so ago, but I just haven’t sat down to do it…until now (thank you blog)!These pillows really need some love. The big ones were made by my mother, and they have gotten a lot of kid abuse (i.e. serious stains). The smaller ones were part of a futon cover set and the fabric is terrible – it pills, and it attracts bits of lint, dust, and dirt that I didn’t even know were there until they came in contact with the pillow. I’d rather keep that stuff hidden!I decided to keep it simple and just make basic envelope style cases. Maybe someday I’ll get all fancy and learn how to sew a zipper, but that’s an adventure for another day. I started by cutting the fabric to the width of the pillows. The length was less critical, so I just made sure that it was twice the width of the pillow plus several inches for overlap.Then I did a double fold hem on the short ends of the fabric strips (press a ¼ inch fold and then fold over again and press).Next, I sewed down the hem.Then I spread out the fabric strip, placed the pillow on top, and folded up the sides. I marked the overlap line with pins and then removed the pillow.All that was left was to line up the hem to the pin line, even up the edges, and sew.I am pleased with the results and am very happy to finally have decent looking pillows on our living room couch!The children also approve. They promptly put the refurbished pillows to the test by piling them up and jumping on them!